next | previous | contents
Explorer 3 and Internet Mail
Surfing the web with Microsoft Internet Explorer
- To go to a web site enter the address into the address
box at the top of the page and press enter.
- To store the web site so you can find it later click on favorites
| add to favorites. You can also click on organise favorites to put them in
folders the same as in windows explorer.
- To save a web page for viewing later click on file | save
as file, then select a location to store the file and remember where you have saved it
for future reference.
- To view a file you have saved click file | open | browse,
then select the file you have saved.
- To search on a topic on the Internet click on the search
button at the top of the page. Then enter the topic you are interested in in the
dialog box and press enter. There are a number of different search engines listed on the
lefthand side of the main search page which provide different information and content. Try
them out to see which ones suit the topics you are interested in.
- After you have searched a number of pages you can go back to
a previous page by clicking on the back button and then click on the forward
button to go forward again. You can also see a history of where you have been by
clicking on go | open history folder. Double clicking on an address will take you
to that page.
- Every page you look at counts as data traffic. Often the
largest data component of the page is the picture, you can see this because they take a
long time to display. To save time and money you can tell Explorer to only download text.
To set this up click on view | options | general, and untick the show pictures
box under multi media then click OK to exit the preferences box. To view an
image right mouse click on it and click show picture in the menu.
Sending and Receiving Email with Outlook
- To send someone an email click on new message which
will bring up the new message box. Enter the email address at the top of the page or if it
is in the address book just write their name in. Click on the paper clip button to
insert a file. Enter your message in the large box. When you are finished click on send.
This sends it to the outbox. Click on send and receive to send it. To save money
and time on the Internet write your emails. When you are online line click on the send
and receive button to send your mail.
- To collect your mail click on the send and receive
button. If requested enter your password in the dialog box that comes up.
- To delete messages once you have finished with them right
click on a message and select delete from the drop down list.
- To access the address book click on file | address book.
The help menus are
very good if you have a problem
next | previous | contents